If you need to make a call to Spain from the US, you’ll want to know how to do it quickly, cheaply, and effectively. Thankfully, modern technology has made it easier than ever to reach folks all over the world in minutes or less.
The good news? Getting in touch with clients, contacts, and personal friends in Barcelona isn’t all that complicated. The bad news? It’s not as simple as calling another telephone number in your time zone — but it’s pretty close.
Here’s how to call Spain from the USA through a landline, mobile device, or VoIP phone number.
How to call a Spain mobile number from the US
If you’re trying to call a Spanish mobile number, you’ve come to the right place. All it takes is four simple steps to push your number through.
- Punch in the exit code of your country. Since you’re here in the USA, that’ll be 011. Note that if you’re placing a call from your cell phone or from OpenPhone, you can just use the “+” symbol instead of 011.
- Next, you’ll need to enter the Spain country code (34). This allows you to route international calls to the right general location. You won’t have to worry about entering any symbols this time.
- Almost there. It’s time to dial the area code of the Spanish phone number you’re trying to reach. If your contact hasn’t supplied this information yet, you can use these generalized locations to help:
4. The last part of the process is just entering the mobile phone number. Remember, it should start with a six or seven.
All done. The string of numbers on your screen should look a little something like this:
[+ OR 011] 34 90 6034-56789
How to call a Spain landline number from the US
If you feel pretty comfortable with the instructions for calling a Spanish mobile number, you’ll be happy to know that reaching a landline phone is almost just as easy. The main difference between the steps is the phone number you will enter at the end (mobile numbers start with 6 or 7 as the very first digit).
- Remember this part? Type in the 011 exit code for making a call to Spain. Don’t forget you can also use the “+” symbol if dialing from your cell phone (or a phone platform like OpenPhone).
- The country code prefix also stays the same: 34.
- Dial in the specific area code for the number you’re trying to reach.
- All that’s left to do is enter the landline phone number of who you’re trying to call. The mainland of Spain uses nine-digit phone numbers (without the area code), so don’t be surprised if the number string looks different from what you’re used to.
And that’s it! Just add your exit code, the country code, the area or city code, and the actual phone number to get connected with contacts in minutes.
Here’s an example of dialing a Spanish phone number from the US:
011 (exit code) 34 (country code) 968 (the Murcia, Spain area code) 9001-23456 (example phone number)
How to factor in the time difference when calling Spain from the US
Now you can make calls to Spain at any time — but you probably shouldn’t. In fact, the country of Spain is several hours ahead of the US and runs on Central European Time (UTC +2). The Canary Islands are even more complicated and are an hour behind the mainland on Western European Time (UTC +1). These time zones change twice per year — once in spring and again in the fall.
The point is: being aware of the time difference between the US and Spain will save you a lot of headaches and awkward situations in the future.
If you’re located within one of the US’s six different time zones, you’ll want to schedule your communications to Spain with the least inconvenience possible. Here’s how each of the time zones compares:
- Hawaii-Aleutian Time: A 12-hour gap is the largest time difference between Spain and the US. Calls made at 12 PM will reach Spain around 12 AM.
- Alaska Time: There’s a substantial 10-hour difference between Alaska and the mainland of Spain. 12 PM phone calls are about 10 PM in Spain.
- Pacific Time: There’s a 9-hour difference between yourself and Spain. A call 12 PM Pacific is 9 PM in Spain.
- Mountain Time: Spain is 8 hours ahead of Mountain time. Calls around lunch will reach your Spanish contacts at 8 PM.
- Central Time: If you’re in the central US, contacts in Spain will be 7 hours ahead of you. Making calls around your noon lunch break will reach contact at 7 PM.
- Eastern Time: Spain is only 6 hours ahead of people in Eastern Time, meaning that calls made around 12 noon will reach Spain at 6 PM.
Remember: any calls you make to the islands off the coast of Spain (Canary Islands) are an hour behind the mainland. Alaska Time would be nine hours ahead, Pacific Time would be an 8-hour difference, and so on. All other Spain area codes on the mainland follow the same GMT +2 time frame.
Need to convert times on the fly? Tools like Time Zone Converter are unbelievably helpful for calculating differences at a glance.
How much does it cost to call Spain from the US?
If you live in the United States, there’s no standardized price for making a long distance call to Spain. When you have a cell or landline plan through traditional providers, expect to pay anywhere between a few pennies per minute up to a few hundred dollars per hour. Even providers like Skype charge a few cents per minute.
Regular calls to Spain from the US can get expensive fast. But with OpenPhone, it doesn’t have to be.
How to reduce your calling costs to Spain
Rather than relying on prepaid calling cards or traditional carriers, VoIP calling plans from OpenPhone take the guesswork out of international calls. Just $10 per month per user unlocks a world of good for you and your contacts in Spain — including transparent pricing plans. Once you enable international calling on your account, you’ll pay as little as $0.03 per minute on outbound calls to Spain.
Set up an auto-charge function to never run out of credits, and make as many calls as you need to Spain and beyond.
Other benefits you can get from an OpenPhone include:
- Unlimited calls and texts to the US and Canada
- Easily call and text from your preferred device through our browser, desktop, and mobile apps
- Thousands of integrations with tools like Slack, HubSpot, Zapier, and more
- Call analytics dashboards to track vital KPIs
- Simple pricing plans that easily scale as your team grows
- Call recording and voicemail transcriptions that keep everyone up to speed
- Shared team numbers that allow your employees to collaborate from anywhere
Call Spain for less with OpenPhone
Transparent prices and easy-to-use software — it’s what makes OpenPhone the best phone solution for business calls and personal communications. Test out calling and texting to any US or Canadian numbers for free by signing up for a 7-day trial of OpenPhone.
The post How to call Spain from the US in 4 simple steps appeared first on OpenPhone Blog.